Yi Tai Study Hall
Yi Tai Study Hall (Two Emperors Study Hall), located in Shui Tau Tsuen of Kam Tin, was built in 1840. Its architectural designs are particularly interesting. The doorways of side chambers are moon-shaped openings. The gable walls are adorned by plaster mouldings of plants and birds while the ceramic window lattices feature big coin patterns and irregular geometric patterns.
The lane running across the front court of Yi Tai Study Hall is paved with white stones, and is known as 'Pak Shek Hong' (White Stone Lane). The building is composed of two halls and one courtyard. In the front hall, the God of Wealth, the God of Literature and the Martial God are worshipped. The rear hall is a place for study.
With the introduction of modern education in the early twentieth century, the Study Hall was converted into a primary school with about thirty students. It was abandoned during the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945) although the worship of the Literary and Martial Gods continued. The building however has since been left vacant and unattended.
With full support from members of the Tang Yi Tai Wui, emergency repairs were carried out in November 1992 to avoid further deterioration after the formal declaration of the building on 26 July 1992. The final phase of restoration work which commenced in March 1994 to fully restore the Study Hall was complete in September 1994. The restoration was solely funded by the government. The restoration project was supervised by the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Service Department.
A rehabilitation ceremony was held on 4 December 1994 to mark the completion of the restoration. The historical building has since been opened to the public.
51 Tsuen Wan (Nina Tower) – Kam Tin
54 Yuen Long (West) – Sheung Tsue
64K Tai Po KCR – Yuen Long (We
77K Cheung Wah – Yuen Long (West)
Kam Sheung Road West Rail Station
alight at Mung Yeung School, Kam Tin Road, then walk along a track to Shui Mei Tsuen